Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION CLUBHOUSE » Long Live the Legion! » Calling the Roll of THE LEGION #32 ..... (spoilers) (Page 2)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Calling the Roll of THE LEGION #32 ..... (spoilers)
Tromium
Decrystallized

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tromium           Edit/Delete Post     
It doesn't prove anything, but there was a comment Garth made said to Mekt when they were on Korbal in the Lightning Lord arc, early post-boot. Something to the effect: "I thought we all died that day. Maybe we did." Later, Garth was only temporarily dazed by the loss of his arm and Ayla shrugged a gunshot wound thanks to the lightning-cauterization affect. Then Ayla, who had lost her electrical powers in Genesis, was both killed (again?) and resurrected by lightning in #101. We've yet to see Mekt die/resurrect like his younger siblings, but I think they've established enough evidence to support the Ranzz survival/immortality theory, though where they'll take it next is anyone's guess.

APB, when you speak of Jan's origins and "a certain Adventure era pattern", are you referring to his tendancy to turn stuff into gas all the time? Or am I way off base?

Mystery Lad, I just recently learned about Crystal (the Marvel character). Thanks for the heads-up.

From: Reimagined Trom | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Awkward Pause Boy
Candidate

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Awkward Pause Boy   Email Awkward Pause Boy         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Tromium Crystal:
APB, when you speak of Jan's origins and "a certain Adventure era pattern", are you referring to his tendancy to turn stuff into gas all the time? Or am I way off base?

It's not my "Adventure era pattern," it's Mystery Lad's. He's got everyone in a tizzy about it.
From: Portland, Oregon | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mystery Lad
Advisor

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mystery Lad   Email Mystery Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by jimgallagher:
2 thoughts:

On M'Onel's calling Superboy "old friend":

After 1,000 years in the whatever zone, it makes sense to me that M'On would (a) become fairly philosophical and act somewhat big brotherly towards anyone he knew before his imprisonment and (b) would also have become very lonely and want to reach out for any relationship he could nurture, especially with someone on a similar power level with him and from the same time period as him.

I really wish we'd get some sort of spotlight about Lar's memories from his time in the whatever zone (I can never remember what it is this month, either!). I agree it'd be natural for him to feel brotherly towards someone he knew before he was 'zoned'. I do think it likely that Lar watched Superboy from the zone from time to time, as well.

I don't know if power levels would have anything to do with it, though. Not for Lar Gand, anyway.

quote:

Thought #2:

Lots of people hate the Garth in Jan plot device. I wonder how it compares to the scads of readers who hated the Proty in Garth plot twist of the preboot. Which would y'all rather have? Garth in Jan or Proty in Garth? Me? I'd take Proty in Garth in a second.

It all depends on the outcome. If I had to choose a longrunning or permanent scenario, I'd choose Proty in Garth, too.

If there's a means to an end, here... the opposite.

Thanks for the reply, jim.

TN

[ May 06, 2004, 10:14 AM: Message edited by: Mystery Lad ]

From: Knoxville, TN | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mystery Lad
Advisor

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mystery Lad   Email Mystery Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Awkward Pause Boy:
I can see all of this as some form of development, but really I've just never been able to get past his obsession with Imra. I just don't know why he does it. I can recall points where Imra realizes her feelings for Garth, but all I can recall from Garth is a lusty shuttle ride followed by years of fixation, jealousy, angst... And I'm not trying to be unromantic or anything. I can deal with romance, but in this instance I just don't see anything there to work with.

Preboot, almost all the Legion romances were 'fait accompli'. Love at first sight, followed by immediate permabond pairing. I think that the beginning of the reboot took that into account... they relied heavily on the Lighnting Lad/Saturn Girl coupledom as something inherent to the series. Maybe it is. Maybe it isn't. They showed us a bit more realistic take on love at first sight with Ultra Boy and Apparition... at least for awhile.

You're right, we did see Imra change from somewhat diffident to 'in love' back to unsure.

quote:

I suppose that, if I wanted to defend her current level of participation, I'd say that it's harder to be point person for an entire galaxy than for a particular planet. Even so, I'd expect a little more involvement. Maybe some is coming in the next issue.

Very good point... however the Kwai are a big presence in the 'new' second galaxy. But you're right, essentially.

quote:

It is pretty bothersome isn't it. Yet, excepting minor variations, everyone's fallen in line about what to think of the whole story.

Yeah... a little variation in opinion, at the least, would be very welcome.

quote:
Originally posted by Mystery Lad:
Though mention of Jan's origin always brings to my mind a peculiar little theory I have about it and the way it fits into a certain ADVENTURE era pattern.

What's this? A teaser? Out with it! (Or am I just missing something?) [/QB][/QUOTE]

Oh, Lordy... I hope this doesn't disappoint. It certainly doesn't have to do with anything concerning 'current' events in the book.

Well, OK... here's the pattern (from Adventure era stories)...

Ultra Boy... suspected by the Legion.
Duplicate Boy... suspected by the Legion.
Lone Wolf... suspected by the Legion.
Element Lad... suspected by the Legion.

Phantom Girl... follows U.B., then aids him, despite her doubts.
Shrinking Violet... follows D.B., then aids him, despite her doubts.
Light Lass... follows L.W., then aids him, despite her doubts.
Invisible Kid... follows E.L., then aids him, despite his doubts.

UB/PG, SV/DB, LL/LW all become longstanding Legion romantic couples. I don't think the writers of Element Lad's origin intended to show Lyle falling for Jan at all, but I think modern readers can extrapolate the possibility of a relationship from the other stories and resulting relationships. It's not overt, at all. But a possibility.

I *do* think that Jan and Lyle should've been shown to become friends over the course of their Legion careers, more than they were... Jan would've been as grateful to Lyle as he was to Imra, IMO.

As someone who thought Jan might be a gay hero before I ever heard of fan-fic... before I even met another Legion fan of any kind, I extrapolate more than friendship. In the Legion HQ of my own imagination, anyway:).

TN

From: Knoxville, TN | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mystery Lad
Advisor

quote:
Originally posted by Eryk Davis Ester:
Interestingly, the Garth-survival story harkens back to something we originally learned back when Mekt made his first reboot appearance, namely that the Ranzz's now "bleed" lightning, indicating that they aren't really human anymore at all.

Now *that* needs some follow-up. I wonder if that's where DNA got the idea for this way of his 'surviving' death.

I wonder about the lightning beasts... did *they* kill some other creatures(s) that also were 'living lightning'? What if the lightning itself is a form of life, passing from host entity to host entity?

Thanks for the positive provocation, EDE!
TN

Mystery Lad
Advisor

quote:

Mystery Lad, I just recently learned about Crystal (the Marvel character). Thanks for the heads-up.

She's one of my favorites, despite having not been used for years, now.

Her best appearances have been in various replacement stints for Sue Richards in the FANTASTIC FOUR. She was also an AVENGER for awhile. And, as an INHUMAN (but one with closer ties to the 'human' world that her 'cousins'), she often (but not nearly always) appears whenever that group is featured.

TN

Mystery Lad
Advisor

quote:
It's not my "Adventure era pattern," it's Mystery Lad's. He's got everyone in a tizzy about it.

I doubt it was 'tizworthy'. Sorry for the tease and the delay. (Does 'tizzy' come from 'tease'-- as in 'He teased me so much, I'm in a tizzy?)

ELad *did* a lot of gas transformations, though, Tromium Crystal. I always wanted to see him team up with Gas Girl of Lallor...

TN

Awkward Pause Boy
Candidate

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Awkward Pause Boy   Email Awkward Pause Boy         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
[QUOTE]Oh, Lordy... I hope this doesn't disappoint...

It doesn't. [Smile] I think it's fabulous to extrapolate in such a manner. It helps mull the endless possibilities.
From: Portland, Oregon | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Reboot
Common sense is neither common, nor sense.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Reboot   Author's Homepage   Email Reboot         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Sanity or Madness?:
And obvious question - the way it was described here, doesn't this basically make Garth (and quite possibly Ayla and Mekt by extension) immortal? Just get them hosts that can take an all-the-power-they've-got blast (clones even? If they have a sample of Garth's DNA - or even get a sample from Ayla and "edit" it slightly to make the clone male - would the clone body be able to take him?) and hey presto...

To respond to SoM's idea: yes, I think it's quite possible all the Ranzz siblings are effectively immortal under certain circumstances, i.e., their electrical energy is captured in another form before it dissipates. Just one of the many loopholes provided to the next creative team. I hope they find another way of migrating him, however. I hate clones.
I've done some looking over, and I'm now not sure a clone could take a blast of sufficient magnitude. Remember Dr Gym'll trying to stop the attempt to resurrecect Ayla cause he thought it would fry Garth? And of course his actual incineration at the end of LL12.

[This brings up another point - even ignoring the transmutation, does this effectively give him a power-up, given that the crystal's presumably a more durable body? Or do we have a Wildfire effect where he has to hold back to keep himself together?]

--------------------
My views are my own and do not reflect those of everyone else... and I wouldn't have it any other way.

Cobalt, Reboot & iB present 21st Century Legion: Earth War.

From: The Mainframe | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Reboot

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Reboot   Author's Homepage   Email Reboot         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
quote:
2 thoughts:

On M'Onel's calling Superboy "old friend":

After 1,000 years in the whatever zone, it makes sense to me that M'On would (a) become fairly philosophical and act somewhat big brotherly towards anyone he knew before his imprisonment and (b) would also have become very lonely and want to reach out for any relationship he could nurture, especially with someone on a similar power level with him and from the same time period as him.

I really wish we'd get some sort of spotlight about Lar's memories from his time in the whatever zone (I can never remember what it is this month, either!). I agree it'd be natural for him to feel brotherly towards someone he knew before he was 'zoned'. I do think it likely that Lar watched Superboy from the zone from time to time, as well.
Note how he said that he *eventually* learned to tune in in Lgs 37 tho. And can you really call someone you spied upon for years a "friend," when they did nothing to get you out of the Zone in their natural lifespan?

quote:
quote:
I suppose that, if I wanted to defend her current level of participation, I'd say that it's harder to be point person for an entire galaxy than for a particular planet. Even so, I'd expect a little more involvement. Maybe some is coming in the next issue.

Very good point... however the Kwai are a big presence in the 'new' second galaxy. But you're right, essentially.
True - the only reason for a "native" to have more than their usual involvment in the planning/execution of a mission is for their local knowledge. They were "negotiating" with Singularity here, and 'Kari's been completely out of touch with her people since Legion Lost 3, and the Credo didn't exist until after the Fall of the Progenator

--------------------
My views are my own and do not reflect those of everyone else... and I wouldn't have it any other way.

From: The Mainframe | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tromium
Decrystallized

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tromium           Edit/Delete Post     
Originally posted by Sanity or Madness?:
I've done some looking over, and I'm now not sure a clone could take a blast of sufficient magnitude. Remember Dr Gym'll trying to stop the attempt to resurrecect Ayla cause he thought it would fry Garth? And of course his actual incineration at the end of LL12.

[This brings up another point - even ignoring the transmutation, does this effectively give him a power-up, given that the crystal's presumably a more durable body? Or do we have a Wildfire effect where he has to hold back to keep himself together?]

Your idea of cloning a new human body using Ayla's genetic matrix *does* have technical merit. I assume it would be able to withstand at least as massive a lightning blast as Ayla's body did in LSH #101. It doesn't sit right with me only because I tend to think of clone bodies as degenerate copies. Besides, I'm not so sure he would be willing to move to a clone body, particularly now that he's adopted the notion the whole thing was "ordained".

Tromium has weaknesses as well as strengths. It protects against space/time stress and does not degrade, giving its owner extended life if not immortality (Jan's billion years in space). But it's also been shown to be vulnerable to weapon fire (LL:#1) not to mention energy blasts. It's certainly a better conductor of electricity than flesh, however, especially in crystalline form, so his electrical powers might in fact be magnified assuming he doesn't blow himself up in the process. It's also possible the transmutation powers are enhanced or otherwise altered by the lightning, but I kinda doubt it.

----------------------------------------

I can see all of this as some form of development, but really I've just never been able to get past his obsession with Imra. I just don't know why he does it. I can recall points where Imra realizes her feelings for Garth, but all I can recall from Garth is a lusty shuttle ride followed by years of fixation, jealousy, angst... And I'm not trying to be unromantic or anything. I can deal with romance, but in this instance I just don't see anything there to work with.

I suppose he obsesses because as soon as he gets close to Imra, she pushes him away. Talk about patterns. All this back-and-forth is just a soap-opera technique to forestall the inevitable, imo, but you're not the first reader to question the relationship because of it. Over the years, they've spent a lot more time squabbling than romancing except for the periods of detente they enjoyed right after the 20th century arc and just before Legion Lost. The writers must have realized there was some fan uncertainty about this matter because they've taken particular pains since Dream Crime to remind us that, for all their problems in LL, they were in fact still engaged when he died.

From: Reimagined Trom | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Korbal
The Lightning World

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Korbal   Email Korbal         Edit/Delete Post     
Some random thoughts--

Garth must have had at least the help of a Kwai to even reach the Credo at the end--hinting that he may not be acting alone.

Why is Winema Wazzo always wearing glasses ever since she became President?

Would not be too surprised if the original Progenitor, the Lord of Time, makes some sort of appearance.

Wasn't the whole Garth/Proty plot only valid during the thankfully brief "Glorith Reality" with the Kid Quantum/Soul of Antares mess?

Where does Umbra store her transuit nowadays?

--------------------
"I am the LEGION--you colossal Jerk!"--Garth Ranzz LEGION #63

Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Time Trapper
Master Villain

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Time Trapper           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Korbal:
Would not be too surprised if the original Progenitor, the Lord of Time, makes some sort of appearance

Hey, there's only ONE Master Of Time ! [TimeTrapper]

Where does Umbra store her transuit nowadays?

Just look closer at her "cerimonial clothing"; there is enough space somewhere. The real question is, where does Sensor store her transuit ?
From: End of time | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mystery Lad
Advisor

The same place she keeps her nipples...
Reboot

quote:
Originally posted by Time Trapper:
quote:
Originally posted by Korbal:
Would not be too surprised if the original Progenitor, the Lord of Time, makes some sort of appearance

Just look closer at her "cerimonial clothing"; there is enough space somewhere.
I'd guess there's a pouch in her cape for it. Only possible place really.

quote:
Originally posted by Time Trapper:
The real question is, where does Sensor store her transuit ?

She wears a Big Legion Belt™ since she got hips. And, given how they grow with the user (see Vi, Gim), they'd fit.

--------------------

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.