Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION CLUBHOUSE » Long Live the Legion! » LEGION Ending?!? (Page 2)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: LEGION Ending?!?
MYG
Once a Legionnaire...always a Legionnaire

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MYG   Email MYG         Edit/Delete Post     
The Legion will never stay cancelled! They never have for long anyway. Maybe someone has realized it's time to bring back the "original Legionnaires"...you know, the ones that were disrespectfully discarded all those years ago. Here comes our true pre-boot Legion. One can hope! This CANNOT mean the end of the Legion! It will be very interesting to see where this goes!

--------------------
Long Live the Legion!!!

From: Sayreville, NJ | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Spellbinder
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Spellbinder   Email Spellbinder         Edit/Delete Post     
I'm not too concerned about it. I felt that the editor's quote was very tongue-in-cheek. I'm sure the title is being cancelled and then relaunched in a new direction.

I seriously doubt that after 40+ years the Legion is going to be discarded.

--------------------
Some people are like slinkys: not really good for anything, but they bring a smile to your face when you knock them down a flight of stairs

From: Penthouse atop Levitz Hall, LMBP Plaza, Embassy Row, Legion World | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MYG
Once a Legionnaire...always a Legionnaire

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MYG   Email MYG         Edit/Delete Post     
I agree, but enough with these reboots already!!! I've been a Legion fan since 1980 and I know I'll continue coming back. The LSH has survived all of these years on "cult level" fan support, loyal readers...not particularly fans new to the book. Those individuals...much like myself, will always be back no matter what!

--------------------
Long Live the Legion!!!

From: Sayreville, NJ | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JR Loflin
Stay Ace!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JR Loflin   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by MYG:
Maybe someone has realized it's time to bring back the "original Legionnaires"...you know, the ones that were disrespectfully discarded all those years ago. Here comes our true pre-boot Legion. One can hope!

Perhaps one can hope, but it won't be this one. I first learned of Legion with the post-boot, so I'd feel as betrayed as the fans were when the reboot occurred. I'd be happy it was continuing in some form, and I'd still read it, but I would lose my great enthusiasm for the book, since these (the preboot characters) would not be the Legion I know and love.

But regardless of stance on the pre/post-boot issue, eliminating the past...erm...not sure how many years worth of stories for nostalgia is not a good thing, and demonstrates even further that DC has no idea what they're doing. If they're going to relaunch the book (rather than letting it remain cancelled), a return to over thirty years' worth of baggage is not going to entice new readers, merely drive them further away...

--------------------
"Many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view."

From: Outpost Gallifrey | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DrakeB3004
Even sacks of anti-energy need lovin'

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DrakeB3004           Edit/Delete Post     
What if they reboot the book and ditch the baggage by introducing totally new characters?!?!
From: New York, NY | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fat Cramer
Rich and flaky

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fat Cramer   Email Fat Cramer         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by DrakeB3003:
What if they reboot the book and ditch the baggage by introducing totally new characters?!?!

I'd certainly give the book a try, since the concept of a 31st century superteam is appealing - but that baggage and I have been together for quite a while. I would surely miss it.

Could they just start up with all new characters, or would they have to forward the group to "Next Generation"?

From: Café Cramer | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Faraway Lad
Senator of the UP. Permanent Ambassador to the Court of Saint James

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Faraway Lad   Email Faraway Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by DrakeB3003:

Then to me it would not be the Legion of Super Heroes.

If there were totally new characters, even set in the 31st century, it would be a new and different team book. Granted it would have "connections" to the Legion, in much the same way that the JLA has "connections" to the JSA, and it might share locations, supporting characters etc, but at the end of the day it would not be the Legion.

Maybe there is a demand for a "next generation" book I don't know. I do know that Star Trek Next Generation was a television programmes response to a fact of nature, i.e. actors are real people who get old and cannot sustain the illusion of young action heroes anymore. But we read comics, that is not a factor here, characters remain young and vibrant forever (otherwise if Superman and Batman aged normally as per “real world time” they would at least be in a home for the elderly by now) so we have no pressing reason to have a next generation of Legionnaires other than a desire to create a “new” book.

For me I want to read stories about a group of super teens in the future led by figures called Cosmic Boy, Saturn Girl and Lightning Lad (well ok Livewire at a push) [Wink] not a new group of people whose only connection to the Legion is a name. That’s not to say I wouldn’t buy such a comic just that I would have to compartmentalise it away from the Legion, much as I do with L.E.G.I.O.N. if that makes any sense?

--------------------
Faithfull

From: Newcastle upon Tyne England | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Reboot
Common sense is neither common, nor sense.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Reboot   Author's Homepage   Email Reboot         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Pex the Unalive:
quote:
Originally posted by MYG:
Maybe someone has realized it's time to bring back the "original Legionnaires"...you know, the ones that were disrespectfully discarded all those years ago. Here comes our true pre-boot Legion. One can hope!

Perhaps one can hope, but it won't be this one. I first learned of Legion with the post-boot, so I'd feel as betrayed as the fans were when the reboot occurred. I'd be happy it was continuing in some form, and I'd still read it, but I would lose my great enthusiasm for the book, since these (the preboot characters) would not be the Legion I know and love.

But regardless of stance on the pre/post-boot issue, eliminating the past...erm...not sure how many years worth of stories for nostalgia is not a good thing, and demonstrates even further that DC has no idea what they're doing. If they're going to relaunch the book (rather than letting it remain cancelled), a return to over thirty years' worth of baggage is not going to entice new readers, merely drive them further away...

Hear hear on all counts Pex.

--------------------
My views are my own and do not reflect those of everyone else... and I wouldn't have it any other way.

Cobalt, Reboot & iB present 21st Century Legion: Earth War.

From: The Mainframe | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Director Lad
aka Sudro Brown II

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Director Lad   Email Director Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Faraway Lad:
Then to me it would not be the Legion of Super Heroes.

Funny, that's exactly how I felt after the first reboot.

I seriously doubt that DC will leave the book in limbo for any extended period. They may try something new format-wise, but the concept is older than most in comics and they know that they have a ready made audience. They won't abandon us for the simple reason that they can make money off of us. The Legion will continue. It may go in some interesting new directions, but it'll still be there.

Further, I don't think that it will be rebooted. The original reboot was as much a response to the ungodly mess that had been made of the book's continuity as it was to diminishing sales. And it was not an editorial decision, so I don't think that the current editors would make that drastic a move.

At any rate, I'm sure we'll hear something soon. Right now they're just trying to keep us in suspense.

From: Los Angeles, CA | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
capt._dallas
Co-Creator/Writer: Omega Chase

Icon 1 posted      Profile for capt._dallas           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Director Lad:
At any rate, I'm sure we'll hear something soon. Right now they're just trying to keep us in suspense.

Which, in my opinion, is a HORRIBLE way to do business. "Hey, let's cancel the series, keep 'em all in the dark, and then when they're in complete despair, we'll announce the re-launch. They'll love us! Sound like a good plan?"

No, it doesn't, and I really don't think that the TPTB at DC make decisions like this. I genuinely think, AT THIS MOMENT, nobody at DC knows what to do with LSH, and they're waiting for some writer/artist to come up with a viable direction.

That's my "in the dark" gut instinct.

--------------------
Omega Chase, available in stores in September: http://th3rdworld.com/comics.php

From: Long Island, NY | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kent Shakespeare
Spectacled Legion

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kent Shakespeare           Edit/Delete Post     
That certainly sounds like DC editorial staff, capt. I think, given that DnA wanted to do another few issues but were told when to settle up, tho, that a new team has already been set.
From: Vancouver, BC, Canada | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
capt._dallas
Co-Creator/Writer: Omega Chase

Icon 1 posted      Profile for capt._dallas           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Kent Shakespeare:
That certainly sounds like DC editorial staff, capt. I think, given that DnA wanted to do another few issues but were told when to settle up, tho, that a new team has already been set.

I hear you, Kent, but if this "new team" was already in place,

WHERE
ARE
THEY?

When was DnA's departure announced? Late December? Early January? It's been 5 months since we've learned they would be leaving the title, and since then, we've heard crickets chirping in the woods. For comic book industry, this isn't normal... unless there is some genuine hesitation on DC's part about what to do next with LSH.

And let's assume I am dead, dead wrong. Let's assume that the future of LSH is already planned out and will be announced shortly.

If that is indeed case, then to leave the loyal Legion readership confused about the future of the title is DISGRACEFUL! I'll say it again, it's a HORRIBLE way to do business!

--------------------
Omega Chase, available in stores in September: http://th3rdworld.com/comics.php

From: Long Island, NY | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Spellbinder
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Spellbinder   Email Spellbinder         Edit/Delete Post     
I wouldn't be too surprised about how this is being handled. I mean, look at the way they handled the relaunch of the Titans. Rumors about the cancellation lasted for a month or more before we got any sort of confirmation, and then they "let slip" the fact that someone with ties to both the Titans and Young Justice would die, and then let us speculate about that for at least 3 or 4 months before the horrible Graduation Day came out.

I used to respect DC a lot more than Marvel, but lately they don't seem to respect their own characters any more, let alone their readers.

--------------------
Some people are like slinkys: not really good for anything, but they bring a smile to your face when you knock them down a flight of stairs

From: Penthouse atop Levitz Hall, LMBP Plaza, Embassy Row, Legion World | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MLLASH           Edit/Delete Post     
Something else to consider re: the relaunch of TEEN TITANS... it is now one of DC's top 5 selling books.

--------------------
Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/

Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pov
Paraplegic tree sloth that's been sedated

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pov           Edit/Delete Post     
AND a cartoon! [Cool]

--------------------
"Anytime a good book like this is cancelled, I hope another Teen Titan is murdered." --Cobalt

"Anytime an awesome book like S6 is cancelled, I hope EVERY Titan is murdered." --Me

From: Up a Gumtree | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.