Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION CLUBHOUSE » Long Live the Legion! » Jim Lee's Legion Designs (Page 2)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Jim Lee's Legion Designs
Awkward Pause Boy
Candidate

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Awkward Pause Boy   Email Awkward Pause Boy         Edit/Delete Post     
Wow! I really like these. Granted, I would take anything over the blandiforms they're wearing now, but these throw in a good deal of style and reference to previous styles. And, I've seen bigger boots. These are practically slippers.

I especially like Saturn Girl and the second Phantom Girl.

From: Portland, Oregon | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mystery Lad
Advisor

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mystery Lad   Email Mystery Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
I like these for the most part... remembering that they're intended for preboot Legionnaires.

I don't mind ornate gloves or boots... just not both on the same character.

ULTRA BOY: The second pic of Jo looks great, IMO... though I'm not sure what's going on with the legs.

MON-EL: Either the boots or the gloves have got to go.

PHANTOM GIRL: Tale the hair from the second sketch and put it atop the first figure's head and I think you've got something.

She should still wear pigtails from time to time, though. [Smile]

SATURN GIRL: When I first glanced at the sketch, I thought this costume was going to belong to Emerald Empress... till I noticed the Saturn emblem.

It's a beautiful costume... like the rest of you, I don't think it's quite right for Imra, unless it's for some ceremonial use. However, it makes more sense for her than the pink bikini ever did.

SUN BOY: I'd have to see this head-on. My initial impression is that it's too uniform-like for Dirk. Is the topcoat supposed to be transparent?

STAR BOY: I like the starfield... the rest is a bit too military-looking.

LIGHTNING LAD: Not horrible, but you just can't improve on the uniform Garth wore up until the end of LOST.

ELEMENT LAD: Like it. I really like the jacket with actual sleeves and a cuff that isn't skintight. The boots are a bit busy. If this was used, I'd hope a reason for the arrow would be given... nowhere to go but up, considering his recent usage? Colors? Blue and green... maybe one or both of them being more pastel than primary, as used preboot. Or pink and white?

INVISIBLE KID: I like this actually. It combines lines from preboot and reboot looks... I think black and white suits Lyle more than the tan range from preboot, though.

KARATE KID: Eh... kind of bland.

DREAM GIRL: Not enough change to mention.

TIMBER WOLF: Great.

COSMIC BOY: Costume' OK, but this looks more like Cosmic KING than BOY.

I wonder if these are Lee's favorite characters? Bet he's got lots more sketches lying around, if they are.

TN

From: Knoxville, TN | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Quislet, Esq
Great Calamity Kittens!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Quislet, Esq   Email Quislet, Esq         Edit/Delete Post     
The only one I really liked was the first Phantom Girl.

Really disliked Irma's.

And I especially didn't like the bulked up Karate Kid.

--------------------
Five billion years from now the Sun will go nova and obliterate the Earth. Don't sweat the small stuff!

From: Boston | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
minesurfer
Member Standing Proudly

Icon 1 posted      Profile for minesurfer   Email minesurfer         Edit/Delete Post     
I wish I could draw... then I'd feel a little better about criticizing them. But since I'm a fanboy with no accountability for what I say... I may as well let loose with the words.

Who ever said that they would like to see them colored before they passed judgement made a real good point. Color could make a huge difference. That said, I look at these drawings and can't help but wander what Coipel's inked pencils looked like before colored. I'd bet that they are very similar to these. The messy hair and the forms just seem so similar. I will say that these faces are different than Coipel's drawings
of The Legion.

My final word is... I like 'em all, except for Saturn Girl. I look at her design and think "Nun" and we all know how that doesn't work in The Legion.

--------------------
Something Filthy!

From: NOVA by way of NOIN | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MLLASH           Edit/Delete Post     
I really like all of these with the SOLE exception of Saturn Girl's.

--------------------
Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/

Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DrakeB3004
Even sacks of anti-energy need lovin'

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DrakeB3004           Edit/Delete Post     
Aside from the arm/leg pad/thingies, I think most of them are ok. The ones I like the most are Lightning Lad, the first Ultra Boy and Timberwolf. After Sprouse's redesign of Tinya, I can't help but see Lee's Saturn Girl designs as more fitting for Apparition (sans skullcap).
From: New York, NY | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Outdoor Miner
Vote for Gates!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Outdoor Miner           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Pov:
P.SAnd the Tinyas-- The first one's a nice updating of the Cockrum outfit. I know it's blasphemy, but the shorthair look is pretty hot to me... a nice update from the pigtails.

The short hair is fine on the first Tinya. The costume, as a '70s tribute/throwback, isn't bad either.

The design of her face, though, makes her look like a cast member of "The Family Guy".

--------------------
Legion World's Badwill Ambassador

From: A Huge, Pulsating, Ever-Expanding Chicken Heart | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the boy with UltraPowers
Active

Icon 1 posted      Profile for the boy with UltraPowers   Author's Homepage   Email the boy with UltraPowers         Edit/Delete Post     
well i've gotta say, i pretty much love all of these !!! i really love JIM LEE's work !!!

i know a lot of his designs can look the same, but his characters, just look AMAZING !!! [ imo ]

i'd love to see him do some work on the LEGION !!!

Matthew.

From: Manchester United Kingdom | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the boy with UltraPowers
Active

Icon 1 posted      Profile for the boy with UltraPowers   Author's Homepage   Email the boy with UltraPowers         Edit/Delete Post     
hey Gary !!

did you get this book, this week ??

i didn't see this at the CBS today ??

perhaps, i just didn't see it ??

Matthew.

From: Manchester United Kingdom | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anita Cocktail
*hic*

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Anita Cocktail   Author's Homepage   Email Anita Cocktail         Edit/Delete Post     
*hic*
From: Gorilla Nebula Pub | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nightcrawler
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nightcrawler   Author's Homepage   Email Nightcrawler         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by the boy with UltraPowers:
hey Gary !!

did you get this book, this week ??

Yup. Last Wednesday.
From: San Diego, CA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valor the M'Onell
Anything but a marvel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Valor the M'Onell   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
So did anyone besides me really injoy each and every one of them?
From: Australia | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Harbinger
Advisor

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Harbinger   Email Harbinger         Edit/Delete Post     
I really like Jim's art so loved these pictures. I'd like to see the Sun Boy design face on to figure out exactly what he's wearing. Loved T-wolf, Element Lad and Star Boy. Mon El looked great and I think the impersonalisation of Saturn Girl by making her wear a mask is a master stroke - her costume as a metaphor for her training and powers - great stuff! Tinya also looked great, especially in the second picture - her bell bottom sleeves are a nice nod to Dave Cockrums design but with a twist!

Lovely stuff, thanks for sharing.

--------------------
"Tempus Fugitive" the final part of the Adventures of Dream Boy series, set in the Three-Boot Universe. Read it only in the Bits o' Legionnaire Business Forum.

From: here, more often than not | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valor the M'Onell
Anything but a marvel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Valor the M'Onell   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
My fave was Mon-El followed by the first Ultra Boy and the first Phantom Girl
From: Australia | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Greybird
Brother of Dawnstar

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Greybird   Author's Homepage   Email Greybird         Edit/Delete Post     
No masks. Fewer capes are needed, not more. Lose the bulk on hands and feet. Tinya should never have short hair. Jan should indeed get his arrow back.

Aside from that, they're all intriguing, especially (are you listening, Levitz?) in decorating a pre-Crisis Elseworlds Legion.

And that's including Dirk's skirt. Some men in that century (not of Scots heritage) are going to wear unbifurcated lower-body garments. Case closed.

[ May 09, 2004, 02:19 AM: Message edited by: Greybird ]

From: Starhaven Consulate, City of Angels | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.