Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION CLUBHOUSE » Long Live the Legion! » Overview: How DnA 'fixed' some things for us (Page 2)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Overview: How DnA 'fixed' some things for us
Tromium
Decrystallized

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tromium           Edit/Delete Post     
What DnA did to redefine the post-ZH Legion was almost as important as what Waid & Peyer did to establish it in the first place. Legion Lost (including its companion volumes, Rifts & Worlds) is the GDS of the post-boot, its single defining storyline. It forever changed the universe in which the Legion exists and, like it or not, we're still dealing with its far-reaching consequences today. Barring another reboot, no future creative team will be able to ignore it, nor dare retcon it without undermining the foundations of current continuity. I dare say we'll be talking about it ten years from now, assuming the Legion is still being published, and maybe even if it isn't.

I can ramble on about the many other things they did right (or wrong) but this is the big picture, imho, and everything else is secondary.

P.S. Capt. Dallas, I really enjoyed your review of the Legion Companion. Good job.

From: Reimagined Trom | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
capt._dallas
Co-Creator/Writer: Omega Chase

Icon 1 posted      Profile for capt._dallas           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Tromium Crystal:
P.S. Capt. Dallas, I really enjoyed your review of the Legion Companion. Good job.

Thanks, T.C.! I appreciate your compliment.

Glen Cadigan emailed me after he read my review and thanked me for giving his book some exposure. He told me that he could "count on one hand the number of places online that have mentioned the book and still have fingers left over." That's a damn shame! He obviously put a ton of effort into this book and it really deserves to be noticed.

Hmn... I'm off topic here.

What were we talking about?

Oh, I know, DnA!

Let me stress again they did a great job re-introducing Timber Wolf and making him a cool character. (Although someone needs to put a moratorium on the phrase "Think Fast". It's definitely been over-used.)

--------------------
Omega Chase, available in stores in September: http://th3rdworld.com/comics.php

From: Long Island, NY | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sketch Lad
Advisor

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sketch Lad           Edit/Delete Post     
When DnA and Coipel Blighted the Legion, it was a total shake-up and departure from how things were before. Despite the devastation, things were popping, alive! Yes, a lot of the complaints Legion fans had seemed to go out the window because there was a lot of new stuff to think about. Then, gradually, many of the complaints were handled. DnA (mostly A) came to the boards to ask us what we thought about things. They seemed to take in a lot of perspectives as they drafted their own. They were fully aware of the Legion's vast history, they were aware of the interest and controversy over V4, they had their eyes on the future. I thought they did a fantastic job of elevating the excitement levels of the Legion comic. Character-wise, yes, they did address a lot of the stuff that was bugging people. Ditzy Jan was not working. Who EVER would have expected him to become something like the Progenitor? Nura went from being a similarly silly person to a competent, almost grim type. UPGRADE! I think most of the other examples have been discussed already (Sensor, Monstress, Wildfire, Timberwolf...). DnA did very worthwhile work on this title. It is time, now, for someone else to take over and build on it.

--------------------
STARSEARCHERS WEBCOMIC

Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ultra Jorge
Himself alone

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ultra Jorge   Email Ultra Jorge         Edit/Delete Post     
What did DnA do good? I picked up an issue of Blight and Lost...didn't care for it. Picked up two issues of Legion World...actually liked it but not enough to by the whole thing.

Legion #1? Wow. And one of my minor complaints of this current series was more slow down issues like #31...where we can see members hanging out interacting and addressing certain subjects.

But the pace really kept things going since #1. Infact things haven't slowed down. It feels like one big massive adventure for the Legion. And the character interaction they've fit in between has been enough to keep me interested.

I really am glad DnA are leaving on such a high note. The last 32 issues have been fantastic.

Jorge

From: Tampa | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fat Cramer
Rich and flaky

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fat Cramer   Email Fat Cramer         Edit/Delete Post     
DnA took the Legion off Earth. I think that's a plus, for a 31st century story with characters representing many different worlds. They're no longer based on Earth, and we no longer have an Earthgov president meddling in their affairs; they really are a U.P. force. I'm a bit disappointed that Legion World is orbiting Earth and not off in some other space, as it originally appeared.

--------------------
Holy Cats of Egypt!

From: Café Cramer | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.