Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION CLUBHOUSE » Long Live the Legion! » Mark Waid/Barry Kitson Legion relaunch? [link inside] (Page 2)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Mark Waid/Barry Kitson Legion relaunch? [link inside]
Vee
Still smoooooth!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Vee   Email Vee         Edit/Delete Post     
All that really matters is that we get some GOOD story telling back. I would love to pick up an issue and actually have something worthwhile to read. This isn't meant to be a picture book where we can just flip pages and exclaim "Oooooohh" "Aaaaaaaaah" "Look at the pretty pictures!"

Please, please, please tell us some "Tales of the Legion of Super Heroes!"

--------------------
"Hey Jim! Get Mon out of the Zone!! And...when do we get Condo back?"

From: Paragon City on patrol | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Greybird
Brother of Dawnstar

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Greybird   Author's Homepage   Email Greybird         Edit/Delete Post     
When and if they go back to resume the story where the REAL Legion was last seen, standing on an asteroid among the ruins of Zerox ... I'll let out three cheers.

Until then, I'll simply take a look at what comes out under that name, and expect to have an occasional pleasant surprise, but little more than that.

The likes of Steve Lightle's art excepted, o'course -- I know how stellar that will be. And I do have considerable hope for what Gail Simone will create with this setting and cast.

From: Starhaven Consulate, City of Angels | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Arachne
Bookworm

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Arachne   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
A reboot would never work. Think about it: no one would agree on just what time to reboot to and even if they did the odds are slim that the story would continue in the direction every person agrees is the right one. And after so many years, fans will have pretty strong ideas about what that direction is.

While I'm still not sure Zero hour was a good or necessary, once that decision was made, going right back to the begining was the logical course, even if it couldn't possibly satisfy everyone. There's really no point in doing it again, they'd just run into the same problems.

--------------------
arachne3003.deviantart.com
Current Obsession: Birds of Prey/Secret Six

From: Canada | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ultra Boy
Lovin the Art!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ultra Boy   Author's Homepage   Email Ultra Boy         Edit/Delete Post     
Hey I would take the re-boot between vol. 3 & the % Year Gap!

--------------------
UltraBoy

From: New York | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Comet King
No 1 Tellus fan

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Comet King           Edit/Delete Post     
Yikes! I hope this rumour isn't true! Another reboot would kill the Legion dead - how many of us want to spend a couple more years waiting for them to get round to recruiting our favourite characters?

And it would mean throwing the DnA stuff out. I know their 5 parters have been a bit on the picture-heavy, story-light side but they've worked wonders in my opinion. The thresholds, pathfinders, titanet, the cadets, even legionworld - they've given the Legion loads of much needed iconography and it would be a big shame to lose it.

--------------------
"What a total entropic mess! Let me at it!"

From: London, England | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eryk Davis Ester
Created from the Cosmic Legends of the Universe!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eryk Davis Ester           Edit/Delete Post     
If it were up to me, I'd blend the various incarnations of the Legion we've seen over the years into a single timeline. That way, we could get most of the preboot history back, but keep the new characters and some of the other nice elements/stories since the reboot.
From: Liberty City | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MLLASH           Edit/Delete Post     
A blended timeline would be the best way to go, as it would allow for stuff like bringing in Element Lad and Projectra from say, circa S/LSH 212 and keeping the new guys (Gates, Zoe) around.

But it would be a CHORE figuring out what stories had and hadn't actually taken place.

I'm thinking the relaunch is going to be either a new # 1 (I hope not) or a cover copy and hype that reads: BOLD NEW DIRECTION! SUPERSTARS WAID & KITSON DO THINGS TO THE LEGION YOU ONLY EVER IMAGINED BEFORE or some such.

--------------------
Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/

Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Reboot
Common sense is neither common, nor sense.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Reboot   Author's Homepage   Email Reboot         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Eryk Davis Ester:
If it were up to me, I'd blend the various incarnations of the Legion we've seen over the years into a single timeline. That way, we could get most of the preboot history back, but keep the new characters and some of the other nice elements/stories since the reboot.

All that would accomplish would be to make sure even the die-hard fans had no idea what the characters' history was. Casual fans would take one look and say "bye."

--------------------
My views are my own and do not reflect those of everyone else... and I wouldn't have it any other way.

Cobalt, Reboot & iB present 21st Century Legion: Earth War.

From: The Mainframe | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
capt._dallas
Co-Creator/Writer: Omega Chase

Icon 1 posted      Profile for capt._dallas           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Sanity or Madness?:
All that would accomplish would be to make sure even the die-hard fans had no idea what the characters' history was. Casual fans would take one look and say "bye."

I agree completely.

Folks, although it's nice to think that DC would entertain re-booting the Legion to before the 1994 re-boot, or before the "Five Year Gap," or before [insert the issue where you think LSH went down the toilet].

And it would be interesting to have a Legion title that somehow accommodates all incarnations of LSH. (Think of a on-going Legion "Elseworlds"-like title that would give writers/artists the freedom to tell any Legion story they wanted from ANY version of the LSH.)

Reagrdless, NONE of this is ever going to happen.

Stephen Wacker and the DC execs want to expand the Legion readership. How does the wiping away of Legion of the Damned, Legion Lost, Ra's Al Ghul, and Foundations, (among other stories) going to expand readership? How is making Legion continuity EXTREMELY confusing going to expand readership? It's not.

We all need to accept that the 1994 re-boot is here to say, and the only possible way to bring the Legion back to the point where you want it returned is to win the lottery (and I'm talking about a lottery in excess of $100 million), and present ALL of that money to DC and say, "I'd like to buy the LSH from you for $100 million. Deal?"

--------------------
Omega Chase, available in stores in September: http://th3rdworld.com/comics.php

From: Long Island, NY | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eryk Davis Ester
Created from the Cosmic Legends of the Universe!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eryk Davis Ester           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Sanity or Madness?:

Not necessarily. Not if it's done well (he says, with incredible optimism!).

Here's a scenario: Start the series with the Legion standing on Xerox at the end of the Magic Wars, only Laurel's there, and so's Jenni, Gates, Zoe, whoever else. Begin to gradually tell the events of the "5-year gap", only this time, things turn out differently.

Meanwhile, use a "Secrets of the Legion" style mini-series to go back and fill-in the general timeline of events for this continuity. Have the writers and editor actually work to make sure they have a coherent picture of the "new" Legion's history, and then let the readers know about it. Did Vi have an "Emerald Vi" phase? How did the events of "Legion Lost" transpire (suggestion: Make Chemical King the villain, and the whole "died preventing World War VII" a story to cover it up)?

Anyway, I don't think in principle it would be any less confusing than the histories of JSA or JLA, with all of the retcons they've had.

From: Liberty City | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
capt._dallas
Co-Creator/Writer: Omega Chase

Icon 1 posted      Profile for capt._dallas           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Eryk Davis Ester:
Here's a scenario: Start the series with the Legion standing on Xerox at the end of the Magic Wars, only Laurel's there, and so's Jenni, Gates, Zoe, whoever else. Begin to gradually tell the events of the "5-year gap", only this time, things turn out differently.

This is a very creative and well-thought out idea, Eryk. Now seriously... imagine having a meeting with Stephen Wacker, Paul Levitz, Jeannette Kahn, etc. and you present them this idea. Explain to THEM how your idea will NOT drive away (1) existing fans of "The Legion" (2) new fans that aren't versed in Legion lore and don't want to spend the money or time reading a "Secrets of the Legion" series to be convinced it's a concept they want to keep reading. How does your idea attract new readers?

quote:
Anyway, I don't think in principle it would be any less confusing than the histories of JSA or JLA, with all of the retcons they've had.
True, but JLA and JSA star DC's "BIG GUNS": Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, Flash, Green Lantern. Does continuity have to make sense with those titles?

--------------------
Omega Chase, available in stores in September: http://th3rdworld.com/comics.php

From: Long Island, NY | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ian Lad
No-so-special Guest Star

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ian Lad   Author's Homepage   Email Ian Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
Nay to a reboot, (or a return to the preboot timeline), unless it includes the entire DCU. I have enough problems accepting Superman, the Teen Titans, and the Doom Patrol; rebooting the legion now would be the final nail in the coffin. Besides, Grant Morrison has proved that it's possible to completely revitalize a concept without rebooting it, so it's really unecessary.

Speaking of Morrison, I'd be estactic if he could take on the title. I feel that he'd bring back the sense of wonder that a comic book set in the future would bring. Bring in Akira's Katsushiro Otomo on as artist (which sadly, will never ever happen) and I'd be a very happy camper.

From: San Juan, Puerto Rico | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Reboot
Common sense is neither common, nor sense.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Reboot   Author's Homepage   Email Reboot         Edit/Delete Post     
BB - you had me until "Speaking of Morrison, I'd be estactic if he could take on the title."

After NXM, keep him the HELL away from any comic I may have even the slightest thought of reading at some point in the most distant of futures.

--------------------
My views are my own and do not reflect those of everyone else... and I wouldn't have it any other way.

Cobalt, Reboot & iB present 21st Century Legion: Earth War.

From: The Mainframe | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ian Lad
No-so-special Guest Star

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ian Lad   Author's Homepage   Email Ian Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
Fine then, your entitled to your opinion. But really, I think Grant Morrison is one of the few writers to really, really understand the silver age and who knows to really translate it to a modern audience. He's the one writer I trust to bring the epicness back to the thirtieth century (who, IMO, is actually a step backwards from the twentieth century, technologically). Plus, he's one of the few writers who fully plans his stories out, instead of making them up as they go along.

[ April 11, 2004, 07:46 PM: Message edited by: The Big Bad ]

From: San Juan, Puerto Rico | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Omni Craig
Advisor

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Omni Craig   Email Omni Craig         Edit/Delete Post     
Morrison usually runs hot or cold for me, with not a lot of in-between.

Hated his take on X-Men, but Doom Patrol and Animal Man were brilliant!! Invisibles went both ways. I thought the third issue of the first series was pure gold, but by issue 8 I was thinking "Why am I still reading this book? Ugh!!"

I guess his JLA was in-between...

--------------------
Craig C.

- Time travel stories are told in chronillogical order.

From: Santa Ana, CA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.