Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION CLUBHOUSE » Long Live the Legion! » Fear of success? (Page 2)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Fear of success?
Fat Cramer
Rich and flaky

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fat Cramer   Email Fat Cramer         Edit/Delete Post     
Well, I just look at the top selling books and I know I'm not interested much in any of them. So that's my excuse for associating popularity with something I would probably not like. It doesn't rule it out, however - I like plenty of best-seller novels, music, movies.

I wonder where the Legion ranked back in its Levitz heyday. Comics in general were selling more then - maybe it was still skimming the bottom quartile of the top 100.

From: Café Cramer | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Reboot
Common sense is neither common, nor sense.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Reboot   Author's Homepage   Email Reboot         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Fat Cramer:
I wonder where the Legion ranked back in its Levitz heyday. Comics in general were selling more then - maybe it was still skimming the bottom quartile of the top 100.

Well, there WAS the time DC picked its top two sellers for the Baxter experiment. The top seller was the Wolfman/Pérez New Teen Titans. Anyone remember the second-top seller, the other book to get the deluxe treatment? Anyone...? [Smile]

--------------------
My views are my own and do not reflect those of everyone else... and I wouldn't have it any other way.

Cobalt, Reboot & iB present 21st Century Legion: Earth War.

From: The Mainframe | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Abin Quank
Except when I'm someone else...

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Abin Quank           Edit/Delete Post     
I believe it was....

LSH, Starting with the infamous 5YG.

--------------------
Just an Old, Broke-Down, Drunk, Bum!!

With a Power Ring...

From: Westerly Rhode Island | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Reboot
Common sense is neither common, nor sense.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Reboot   Author's Homepage   Email Reboot         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by New Kid:
I believe it was....

LSH, Starting with the infamous 5YG.

That was a rhetorical question [Roll Eyes]

But now you've said that, I'd better point out that there were 63 Baxter series issues written by Levitz (hence the reply to the "selling in their Levitz heyday) [+ 12 or so non-reprint "Tales of the LSH" issues) before the 5YG renumbering...

--------------------
My views are my own and do not reflect those of everyone else... and I wouldn't have it any other way.

Cobalt, Reboot & iB present 21st Century Legion: Earth War.

From: The Mainframe | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
He Who Wanders
Light on my feet.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for He Who Wanders   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by armsfalloffboy:
... I have never really understood the point of view that the more people like something, the less you like it. Good art can be really popular, as can good comics. ... Let's not forget that the X-Men are where they are now NOT due to endless crappy miniseries, crossovers, and sweatshop cartoons. The X-Men are one of the world's best known comics largely on Chris Claremont's back.

Well put, AFOB. Let's not forget that X-MEN also remains popular because its core concept -- alienation for being different -- is something with which every teenager of any generation can identify.

The Legion's core concept -- a club of super-heroes -- is perhaps less easy for general readers to identify with. It harkens back to a nostalgic era when joining a club was always a good thing. It made you one of the cool kids. Today, perhaps the sense of alienation (and belonging with other freaks) speaks louder than being well recognized and admired as one of the elite.

The title of your thread is aptly named, Awkward Pause Boy. Fear of success is what this is all about. Fear of success is very limiting to anyone, not just comic book series. I prefer to remain optimistic that the Legion can be both a sales winner (which is not the same thing as a Top Ten comic) and earn its success through excellent stories and art.

So Opton B is the worse for me.

--------------------
The Semi-Great Gildersleeve - writing, super-heroes, and this 'n' that

From: The Stasis Zone | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
superboymddjr
Quiet member

Icon 1 posted      Profile for superboymddjr   Email superboymddjr         Edit/Delete Post     
Plan A? PLan B? oh.....how about a combination of both?
From: Hayward, CA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.