Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION CLUBHOUSE » Long Live the Legion! » Who Shot Laurel Kent? (Page 2)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Who Shot Laurel Kent?
Kid Quislet
Vote for Mighty Mog

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kid Quislet   Email Kid Quislet         Edit/Delete Post     
By the way, the mystery of who shot Laurel Kent was revealed in a Legion of Super Heroes Annual #4? (Baxter series) if memory serves, by Levitz, Giffen and Mahlstadt. If you don't have a copy, that's a fun one I recommend you search the racks and pick up.

--------------------
"My dance card was getting fuller than a contestant's at a Jandan shurg-off." - Exnihil, The Lost Klordny

From: Frederick, MD | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DrakeB3004
Even sacks of anti-energy need lovin'

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DrakeB3004           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Kid Quislet:
Personally, she strikes me as a much more interesting Legion character than Andromeda. Or Monstress. Or Thunder.

Just curious -- what did you find interesting about her? I don't remember her much from the stories I've read with her. Aside from being a scantily clad descendant of Superman with a bit of a sassy attitude, who was she really? (pre-Manhunter retcon that is)
From: New York, NY | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kid Quislet
Vote for Mighty Mog

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kid Quislet   Email Kid Quislet         Edit/Delete Post     
It is true that Laurel Kent did not get a whole lot of time before the Byrne Superboy rewrite and Millenium wiped out her character, but in the few stories we saw her (especially her debut) she was established as a hero with a super ability (although diminished in comparison to Superboy) with a desire to better herself in the hopes of someday becoming a Legionnaire. As a student at the Academy and roommate to Dawnstar for a time, she showed qualities we came to know (and now miss) in Superboy - exemplary selflessness, teamwork, and dedication.
My original thought was that in the post reboot she would be a much better strong female Legionnaire to start with than:
1) Andromeda - a poor Supergirl knockoff who joins the team as a bigot? Tyroc joined the Legion years earlier written in a Racism context, and could never separate from that unnecessary baggage. By the 1980's his character and black power disco duds were so far out there Levitz mercifully sent him into limbo. Andromeda is now in convent limbo with her own stupid character baggage.
2) Monstress - a She Hulk knockoff, hated by most Legion readers even with a skin tone change until her last story arc.
3) Thunder - a tribute to CC Beck, but there isn't a more boring ancestor from the 21st century that could have been picked than Capt'n Marvel. DnA saw this right away and thankfully had her sent back to the future.

Laurel Kent 's character would have living up to her famous ancestor Superman hanging over her head but with reduced abilities thru her "watered down" bloodlines. Sort of similar but opposite to what Brainiac 5 has in his history. This alone makes her IMHO more interesting than what any of the three above have offered. And since the original Superboy is no longer a DCU option, it would be nice for some one in the Legion like Laurel Kent wearing a big red 'S' to sort of take his place.

--------------------
"My dance card was getting fuller than a contestant's at a Jandan shurg-off." - Exnihil, The Lost Klordny

From: Frederick, MD | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sketch Lad
Advisor

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sketch Lad           Edit/Delete Post     
In her intro story, I swear Grell had never drawn a more beauiful woman! I mean, he draws lots of beautiful women, but there was just something extra amazingly stunning about how he depicted Laurel Kent. I thought she was a character of merit, but her power just wasn't good enough for the Legion. I liked that she had ties to the Super family, but it did seem pretty important to TPTB to cut those ties. I haven't read her Manhunter story in a long time, but I recall thinking something like "whatever" when it all happened. As far as rebooting her, well, it seems like a tricky proposition, but why not? I don't think the comparisons to Andromeda and Monstress really apply, either. They're all new and different characters postboot.

--------------------
STARSEARCHERS WEBCOMIC

Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sonnie
mere mortal

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sonnie   Email Sonnie         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
it would be nice for some one in the Legion like Laurel Kent wearing a big red 'S' to sort of take his place.

I always wondered why she never joined the subs... and if she's gonna wear an 'S' then give her a name for it - Super Girl? nah, there's been too many of them, how about Shield? I like the idea of her having a bit of a chip on her shoulder because she's trying to live up to her ancestors reputation, sort of like Umbra and Brainiac.
From: home sweet home... unless i'm posting from work | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Owl Lad
proudtobecanadian

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Owl Lad   Email Owl Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
It is true that Laurel Kent did not get a whole lot of time before the Byrne Superboy rewrite and Millenium wiped out her character, but in the few stories we saw her (especially her debut) she was established as a hero with a super ability (although diminished in comparison to Superboy) with a desire to better herself in the hopes of someday becoming a Legionnaire. As a student at the Academy and roommate to Dawnstar for a time, she showed qualities we came to know (and now miss) in Superboy - exemplary selflessness, teamwork, and dedication.
My original thought was that in the post reboot she would be a much better strong female Legionnaire to start with than:
1) Andromeda - a poor Supergirl knockoff who joins the team as a bigot? Tyroc joined the Legion years earlier written in a Racism context, and could never separate from that unnecessary baggage. By the 1980's his character and black power disco duds were so far out there Levitz mercifully sent him into limbo. Andromeda is now in convent limbo with her own stupid character baggage.
2) Monstress - a She Hulk knockoff, hated by most Legion readers even with a skin tone change until her last story arc.
3) Thunder - a tribute to CC Beck, but there isn't a more boring ancestor from the 21st century that could have been picked than Capt'n Marvel. DnA saw this right away and thankfully had her sent back to the future.

Laurel Kent 's character would have living up to her famous ancestor Superman hanging over her head but with reduced abilities thru her "watered down" bloodlines. Sort of similar but opposite to what Brainiac 5 has in his history. This alone makes her IMHO more interesting than what any of the three above have offered. And since the original Superboy is no longer a DCU option, it would be nice for some one in the Legion like Laurel Kent wearing a big red 'S' to sort of take his place.

Amen to all of that!

What if they did a take on the whole kidnapping of Violet storyline, except this time it was Laurel Kent who had been stolen away at birth and kept in a sens-tank(sp?) while the Manhunter took over her life. This way a whole new Laurel Kent could emerge and take her place in the Legion.

Too far out there? I just want her back. And Sonnie, Shield would be a great name!

From: Canada | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shadow Kid
Talokian Super-Hunk

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Shadow Kid   Email Shadow Kid         Edit/Delete Post     
I've always liked Laurel. She's probably my second favourite supporting character (after Shadow Kid natch).

Can anyone else see her rebooted as a potential love interest for Brainy. True, she's not Supergirl but lets throw the poor guy a brunette for a change. That would be hilarious Dorky ol' Brainy having an incredibly sexy handkerchief wearing Superman descendant for a girlfriend. The reaction from Sun Boy alone would be priceless. [Wink]

Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
matlock
Advisory

Icon 1 posted      Profile for matlock   Email matlock         Edit/Delete Post     
I think that Brainy and Laurel Kent got hooked up in some fanfic by a fellow that goes by the name darkmark. He does a lot of Supergirl stories, and I'd say he's pretty good. Does anyone have the url to his archive to give out?

I never had much of an opinion on Laurel one way or the other, though I thought the Manhunter thing was utterly ludicrous. I had a hard time with the idea that a robot could get shot, figure out it was hit with a kryptonite bullet and manage to work up some blood. And I guess whoever treated the wound must not have thought it a little unusual.

"Ms. Kent, do you know where you are? You've been shot but we're going to take good care of you. Whoah, hey now! You're a robot? I don't see that on your chart! Oh well, nevermind."

From: Douglasville, GA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kid Quislet
Vote for Mighty Mog

I see no reason why Laurel Kent can be introduced (and inducted!) at the next Legion open tryouts. She is simply the decendant from the Clark Kent/Lois Lane family line with the power of invulnerablitity (maybe develops some other Super traits along the way later).

And I really like the code name Shield as well.
Her costume (or lack of one) MUST have the big red "S"!

--------------------

icefire
Just like old Times!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for icefire   Email icefire         Edit/Delete Post     
I have extra copies of the annual if any one needs one. I used to run a comic shop have lots of extras around!!!!!!

--------------------
Let the Fun Begin!

From: tennessee | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
icefire
Just like old Times!

Anyone need one?????

--------------------
Let the Fun Begin!

From: tennessee | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
icefire
Just like old Times!

I have 3 extras!!!

--------------------
Let the Fun Begin!

Legion Lad
Applicant

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Legion Lad           Edit/Delete Post     
I think the people at Archie Comics might have something to say about a character called Shield. Of course, that's if they noticed, which they probably wouldn't.

--------------------
My powers are Legion!

Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.